The root chakra, also called Muladhara in sanskrit, it’s the first chakra of the seven main chakra system and it’s name means “foundation”.
To understand this, just look at trees. A tree may grow tall and strong but only because it’s roots are also strong. Through the roots it then establishes the base to grow.
In our case this foundation is established in our early childhood years, but mainly in the first 12 months of a child.
Even known it’s main location is in the base of the spine, it’s connections travel all the way down through our legs and feet, just like the roots of a plant. Our legs and feet play then a very important role in the health of this chakra through movement, strength and grounding through the feet.
From a physical perspective, it’s related with our sexual glands (testicles in males and ovaries in females) and it is therefore related with our sense of identity.
Because it is related with our survival instincts as well, it is also related with our autonomic nervous system and the so called “fight-or-flight system”. Our autonomic nervous system is, as the name says, automatic which means that it is a state of reaction more than action, more unconscious than conscious.
Because this chakra develops so early in our lives, our surroundings play a very important role and get imprinted in our subconscious mind. A calm, safe and harmonic environment means for the child a stable ground where she can grow and develop.
A balanced root chakra manifest itself in a adult stage by a good physical health, healthy weight, healthy sexuality, ability to set goals, vitality and energy, by feeling safe and by trusting oneself.
Where is the Root Chakra located?
The root chakra is located at the base of the spine which can be located in our body at the perineum and along the first three vertebrae, at the pelvic plexus.
It governs the bladder, kidneys, large intestine, lower extremities, the skeletal structure, teeth, and blood.
Root Chakra Symbol, what does it mean?
The Four Petals symbolize four aspects of consciousness: The mind (Manas), the intellect (Buddhi), the consciousness (Chitta) and the ego (Ahamkara).
The Square represents a stable structure for the other chakras to rest upon.
The Inverted Triangle represents the elemental symbol for earth and also the seed of consciousness, from which it flowers and grows.
The red color represents vitality, and even known that red is the slowest of all the wavelengths within the visible spectrum, it’s also the most stimulating color.
Is my Root Chakra out of balance?
There is many different manifestations of imbalance in the root chakra, they may become visible on your physical body or manifest in a more emotional or mental way.
Take a look a the most common manifestations of imbalance of the root chakra:
|Constipation, hemorrhoids||Poor focus||Anger and rage|
|Sexual dysfunction||Disorganized thinking||Frustration|
|Sciatica, lower back pain||Pessimism||Resentment|
|Kidney and bladder problems||Negative thinking about life||Anxiety and fear|
|Blood related issues: anemia, blood pressure||Lack of trust||Depression|
how can i balance my root chakra?
There is many ways you can improve the health of your root chakra. Here are some tips:
- Food, through the ingestion of either red fruit like berries, red beets or even roots like carrots, potatoes, ginger etc.
- Aromatherapy (essential oils or incense): sandalwood, myrrh, rosemary
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama (breathwork), read more here;
- Mudra: Dhyana mudra (bring the thumb to touch your index finger)
- Mantra: LAM (listen here); “I trust myself”, “I am safe”
- Crystals: ruby, red jasper, red tiger eye, hematite
- Yoga positions like: Tree Pose (Vrksasana), Easy Pose (Sukhasana), Warrior II (Virabhadrasana II), Mountain Pose (Tadasana)
Share this with your family and friends!
Ready to start your practice?
- How to clean yoga mats naturally? 3 natural ways to clean your and your children’s yoga mat
- Why Yoga for Children? Reason nr 1…
- What is the 7th Chakra? Explore the Crown Chakra, aka Sahasrara because you are connected!
- What is the 6th Chakra? Explore the Third Eye Chakra, aka Anja because you are Intuitive!
- What is the 5th Chakra? Explore the Throat Chakra, aka Vishuddha because you are Pure!